Residential Tenant

Frequently Asked Questions

Residential tenant

Residential Tenant

The application form is the starting point for any tenancy. Before a person can move into a property, they must fill out our Application/Offer to Lease Residential Premises in full. The more information we can obtain about the applicants the better. Some of the information we require is as follows:
  • Personal information – name, date of birth, phone numbers
  • Employment – current position and employer details
  • Current address and owner/agent details
  • Previous address and owner/agent details
  • Professional references – perhaps a manager or previous manager
  • Personal reference – family friend, colleague
  • Emergency contact and Next of Kin – a friend or family member in Perth
  • 100 points of ID (chart below)
Passport or Drivers Licence60 points
Birth Certificate40 Points
Student Photo ID40 Points
Pension/Concession Card (Heath Care Card)40 Points
Medicare/Private Health Care Card25 Points
Other eg: Bank Cards etc25 Points

At the beginning of every tenancy, a Property Condition Report (PCR) is drawn up which details every aspect of the condition of the property. At the end of the tenancy, the PCR is used to determine whether the property was left in its original condition, less normal wear and tear. Our property managers then use this information to make deductions from the bond and collect further payment for additional damages if necessary.

Your Property Manager will advise if you are required to put the electricity and/or gas in your name as some strata properties have the electricity already connected!

  • For electricity, Synergy can be contacted on 13 13 53. You will need to supply your full name, address of the property and when you are moving in.
  • For gas, Alinta Gas can be contacted on 13 13 58. There are other suppliers of Gas in WA if you wish to investigate. If you are living in a complex, Alinta may ask for the meter number which sometimes cannot be provided. They will have to search for the property by address only. Please make sure you give them your full and correct new address.
  • Connecting the Phone – It is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure the phone is connected, if you wish to have this done. The owner makes no representations to the availability of the phone line. You may find it easier to use wireless internet, and mobile phones.

Unless you have sought permission from the agent, pets are not permitted at the property. If pets have been approved, they will be noted on both your application form and lease agreement. A pet bond is also payable of $260.00. Small fish tanks are generally allowable but larger tanks or aquariums will need to have permission sought from the owner. Small birds may be allowed however noise levels need to be taken into consideration if your property is in a complex or close to neighbours.

Once a tenancy has commenced our preferred option for rent payments is BPAY. Your unique reference number will have been given to you upon signing of the lease.

Alternatively, you can post or drop in a money order or cheque to our office.

We do not accept cash over the counter except for your initial payment of rent and bond.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact your property manager.

If you decide to terminate your lease agreement early, you need to contact your Property Manager. There are two options in breaking your lease, paying out the remaining term of your agreement or; continue paying rent until the property is re-leased, however you will also need to pay all advertising costs and re-letting expenses to the owner.

We will of course try our best to lessen your fees, however breaking a lease can be quite expensive and is not recommended.

Your first inspection will be carried out approximately after the first six weeks after the commencement of your tenancy. Thereafter, inspections will usually occur on a quarterly basis. You will receive notice of these inspections in writing within 7-10 days prior to the scheduled inspection. You are not required to be at these inspections as the inspections are held within business hours. If we cannot gain access to your property, we will advise you accordingly and will arrange a further appointment.

Any concerns or problems with a routine inspection can be discussed with the Property Manager. We will try our best to accommodate any special requests.

If tenants are unsure about the standard of cleanliness required, we will give you tips to improve. We can also help with suggestions or recommending cleaners or carpet cleaners.

On a periodic (month by month) lease, a minimum of 21 days written notice to vacate is required. On a fixed term lease, a minimum of 30 days’ notice is required prior to your lease expiry if you intend vacating the property at the end of your lease.

When you first give notice, you will be sent a letter confirming your vacate date and all responsibilities you have. Tenants are also provided with a cleaning guide and vacating checklist as a final reminder which can be very helpful.

All keys/remotes/swipe cards etc need to be returned on or before your vacate date, plus any copies you may have obtained during the tenancy. If keys are returned late, rent will be charged for this time. If keys are lost, rent will be charged until the locks have been changed and new keys returned to our office.

Bond monies are not released until the final inspection has taken place and all items that require attention have been completed.

If there is any work that needs to be done, this may be deducted from your bond if you do not assist the Property Manager with the required rectification that is advised to you.

Carpets need to be professionally cleaned by a reputable company and a receipt to be provided. If this is not done, or you don’t have time, we can arrange this for you and have the cost come from the bond.

Gardens need to be in a healthy neat condition, free of rubbish or debris. Please read our “Protect Your Bond” article on our blog.

Get Started Today

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.